Get Help

Question regarding bandwidth usage for large company

Have a question about Ustream or Ustream-Helpers.com? Unsure how to do something? Need instructions or support? Other community members and official helpers are ready to help!
Forum rules
Have a question about Ustream or Ustream-Helpers.com? Unsure how to do something? Need instructions or support? Other community members and official helpers are ready to help!

In order to provide faster response, please give us as much detailed information about your issue, your operating system and version, Flash Player version, etc. Please include your Ustream username and a link to your broadcast. Please explain the problem in detail and the steps it takes to reproduce, and any other information that could help us resolve your issue.

Question regarding bandwidth usage for large company

Postby dustanholland » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:24 am

I work at a large healthcare company, Novant Health. I run all the live streaming. I'm thinking about switching to Ustream for our streaming needs. However, the IT department has some questions that need to be answered before we can safely make the switch.

I need to know the "concurrent usage statistics", or the "actual usage per user".

Our problem right now, we don't know if our network can handle multiple users pulling down the Ustream video at one time. So, how much data is one user pulling down when watching a Ustream video? At previous live events we've had up to 2k people viewing a video, but that was hosted on our own servers.

I'd really like to talk to someone on the phone about this, but when I try contacting UStream support. They tell me to put in a ticket online. I've put in TWO over the last month and haven't gotten a response. I've also tried posting on the Ustream facebook. So now I'm here. Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks a lot for your help!
dustanholland

Sponsored Links

Postby Sponsored Links » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:01 am

Sponsored Links
VP of Marketing

Re: Question regarding bandwidth usage for large company

Postby usrbingeek » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:04 pm

When broadcasting with Ustream, the impact to your own network is extremely minimal regardless how many users are watching.

The only impact to your network would be just your own video upload to Ustream. That bandwidth usage is limited to and dependent on what resolution and FPS you choose to broadcast at. It doesn't increase or multiply with the number of viewers or anything else.

Ustream itself serves all the video directly to the viewers so Ustream itself is serving the video/chat and absorbing all of the per user bandwidth usage.
All my best,
Steve / usrbingeek
Admin

Follow me on twitter
My Amazon.com Wishlist

Opinions expressed are my own.

Since your questions may also be of benefit to others please post them to the board in place of a PM.
usrbingeek
Admin
Admin

Postby dustanholland » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:22 pm

Steve,

Thanks for your reply!

I forwarded your message to my IT guys. Here is the response:

"Extremely minimal is not clear enough as to the usage for the actual users. Can they be more specific?"
dustanholland

Postby usrbingeek » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:13 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I didn't realize all the viewers were going to be watching from within the same network.

If broadcasting at HD: each viewer would consume 1.2-1.5Mbps.
At high quality: 400kbps-500kpbs.
At low quality: 128kbps-300kbps.
All my best,
Steve / usrbingeek
Admin

Follow me on twitter
My Amazon.com Wishlist

Opinions expressed are my own.

Since your questions may also be of benefit to others please post them to the board in place of a PM.
usrbingeek
Admin
Admin

Postby dustanholland » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:16 am

Thanks Steve! I'll pass that long. I think thats exactly what they are looking for.
dustanholland

Return to Ask A Question