Get Help

Autorestart Scheme?

Have a question about Ustream or Ustream-Helpers.com? Unsure how to do something? Need instructions or support? Other community members and official helpers are ready to help!
Forum rules
Have a question about Ustream or Ustream-Helpers.com? Unsure how to do something? Need instructions or support? Other community members and official helpers are ready to help!

In order to provide faster response, please give us as much detailed information about your issue, your operating system and version, Flash Player version, etc. Please include your Ustream username and a link to your broadcast. Please explain the problem in detail and the steps it takes to reproduce, and any other information that could help us resolve your issue.

Autorestart Scheme?

Postby johnelle » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:14 pm

I have a simple "Main Street Cam" channel which is associated with the local paper. Not a lot of money in publishing a paper in a small town so we are on the free tier. Using a Windows 7 tablet computer (remember those?) and a decent MS Webcam.

Problem is the UStream connection drops a few times a day and I find it just sitting there offline with a dialog box on the screen. This is a wired connection to a FIOS router (50mpbs+). I switched to Producer from the browser plugin and if anything the reliability is worse. During our recent record blizzards, when everybody wanted to the see conditions, the thing was offline a lot. I had no problem accessing the machine remotely (TeamViewer) but the producer as sitting there with an error dialog. I just had to clear the dialog and then hit the broadcast button but I need to get this thing unattended.

I can't find any documentation or suggestion on how to have an autorestart. Is this a paid feature because its pretty bad to just pop-up a dialog box and die. There must be a better way ?????

Anbody have script or a plugin or something for this missing feature?
johnelle

Sponsored Links

Postby Sponsored Links » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:01 am

Sponsored Links
VP of Marketing

Re: Autorestart Scheme?

Postby Dawnstaruk » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:32 pm

I dont know about the autostart script part. But I have had similar issues over the last 2 months which we eventually resolved by changing to a better internet provider. For a month we monitored the line and the upload speed was dropping from 10mbps to zero many times a day. Multiple calls to the provider came up with many reasons why this was happening, but each time the provider blamed our equipment. Having the ability to swap it all out and still produce the problem was ignored by them. So we changed providers and for last month have suffered zero drops. (The new providers confirmed that our thoughts that is was the provider were correct)
Dawnstaruk
Helper
Helper

Re: Autorestart Scheme?

Postby MikeSD » Tue May 12, 2015 11:25 am

There are other reasons to need this, than dropped connections. You may intentionally cause a drop, like when you have a desktop camera streaming video, and you are at a remote location and then decide to stream from your phone. The desktop video stops, and the live video now comes from the camera. But when the camera shuts down, the original stream doesn't restart.

A simple solution would be for the web program, to have an option in the Schedule Event, that (when checked) automatically presses the Start Broadcast. Then, you could have restart events, to restart on the hour or ever few hours.
MikeSD

Return to Ask A Question