Get Help

Ustream censoring random words

Please report any bugs you encounter on Ustream or Ustream-Helpers.com.
Forum rules
In order to provide faster response, please give us as much detailed information about your issue, your operating system and version, Flash Player version, etc. Please include your Ustream username and a link to your broadcast. Please explain the problem in detail and the steps it takes to reproduce, and any other information that could help us resolve your issue.

Ustream censoring random words

Postby Hafwyn » Sun May 06, 2012 7:52 am

Ustream seems to be censoring random words, even the word ustream one second then not the next. It has censored the word baby just now once but we could use it ok a few seconds later. No rhyme or reason to the censoring. This started a few days ago. Its happened in 2 of the rooms i'm in. #africam and #Truk1
Hafwyn
HelpOp
HelpOp

Sponsored Links

Postby Sponsored Links » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:01 am

Sponsored Links
VP of Marketing

Re: Ustream censoring random words

Postby usrbingeek » Sun May 06, 2012 10:26 am

Could you please be more specific about what's happening.

Are the words appearing as "<censored>" or is the line of chat not appearing at all? Or something else happening?
All my best,
Steve / usrbingeek
Admin

Follow me on twitter
My Amazon.com Wishlist

Opinions expressed are my own.

Since your questions may also be of benefit to others please post them to the board in place of a PM.
usrbingeek
Admin
Admin

Postby Hafwyn » Sun May 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Sorry, when when somone would post part of the post would be <censored> for innocent words like ustream, baby, kitty, etc.. after it censored them they posted again what they said and its innocent words. example from our chat:
<+Mo-Quebec> looks like a cross between a racoon and a <censored> cat <+Mo-Quebec> oh sorry... baby cat
she didn't understnd why the word baby was censored.. this has happened with even the word ustream when used in a sentence.
Hafwyn
HelpOp
HelpOp

Postby usrbingeek » Sun May 06, 2012 4:03 pm

Were you able to confirm any of this censoring yourself? None of these words have ever been on the censored list and it seems very unlikely this would happen intermittently or through a bug. I am unable to duplicate and I'm not noticing anything like this happening in any of my logs, except when faked.

The past couple weeks there has been some people trolling and intentionally typing "<censored>" and then complaining they're being censored. I only seen it happen in a few chats but it wouldn't surprise me if it started a silly trend or meme.

A tell is if they're complaining about it because when someone is actually censored they don't see they were censored. They only see what they typed, bad word and all. Only the other people in the chat actually see it say, "<censored>". So a legit person wouldn't see it or know of the censoring and wouldn't complain about it. ;)
All my best,
Steve / usrbingeek
Admin

Follow me on twitter
My Amazon.com Wishlist

Since your questions may also be of benefit to others please post them to the board in place of a PM.
usrbingeek
Admin
Admin

Postby Hafwyn » Mon May 07, 2012 12:33 pm

Yes think some may be tricksters.. and figured out that the bot for our room was blocking links and saying <censored> but here is an actual chat log of someone being censored over the letter B.. in the word B&B. She is a well known chatter who I know wouldn't pull this prank. I don't know if its because two B's were together or what...

[08:16] <+Poppet1> oh, we stayed in knysna!

[08:17] <+Poppet1> at a B & <censored> was a lovely place

[08:17] <+Poppet1> only spent 1 night there

13[08:17] <11+JanineS> this stupid ustream is now rediculous can you believe you were censored now
[08:17] <+Poppet1> who? me?

but no instances of this today so maybe its a non issue now
Hafwyn
HelpOp
HelpOp

Postby usrbingeek » Mon May 07, 2012 1:09 pm

Can you recall if the URL filter was on when that one happened?
All my best,
Steve / usrbingeek
Admin

Follow me on twitter
My Amazon.com Wishlist

usrbingeek
Admin
Admin

Postby Hafwyn » Mon May 07, 2012 1:59 pm

yes I think it may have been.
Hafwyn
HelpOp
HelpOp

Postby thinkingwoman » Wed May 09, 2012 8:26 am

the random censoring has been happening for at least two months.
thinkingwoman

Return to Report a problem